Being an online buyer of a used car can be a successful and profitable (and even a bit fun) experience if you have prepared for it.
Here is a 10 step guide to buying a car online:
1. Know your values. Research the blue book value of the year, make and model that you want to bid on. Are there any known problems with this particular car? The internet offers so much information, so you will be able to get history on manufacturer, safety, or recall issues.
2. Know your own resources. If there are mechanical challenges, are you able to repair/restore them yourself or will you have to pay someone to do this for you? Will the car need body work? What about the interior? Are you going to keep the car for yourself or will you want to resell?
3. As is means as is. Short and sweet. Only expect what you know to be true or have seen in photos. Inspect those photos with due diligence.
4. Get a car history. If possible, check out the VIN number and get a history to find out if the car has a salvage title or has been involved in some other activity.
5. Where is the car? What will it cost to ship or pick up? Make sure these costs are calculated in your budget. Is it running and driveable? What access is there to shipping companies? Does the seller/dealer arrange shipping?
6. What about the site where you are bidding? Is it reputable? Are there testimonials available from successful purchasers? How long have they been in business?
7. Play it safe when purchasing. Only the most reputable online auction sites will have safe and proven ways of handling your online payment.
8. Ask questions! If you are curious, ask. Do your homework. Information is the key to a safe transaction.
9. Know your budget and stick to it! This includes estimated shipping, repairs, etc.
10. Have fun! With a bit of research and preparation, your online auto purchase can be rewarding and enjoyable.
Contact us for more information on buying a car online!